Justice Mathilda Twomey, née Butler Payette is appointed as the new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Justice Mathilda Twomey, née Butler Payette is appointed as the new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of

Post  Sirop14 on Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:56 pm

President James A Michel has today, upon the unanimous recommendation of the Constitutional Appointments Authority, appointed Justice Mathilda Twomey, née Butler Payette, as the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the Republic of Seychelles.

Mrs Twomey has had an illustrious career in the legal profession, serving as a barrister first in the Ocean Gate Law Centre as pupil to Justice Francis MacGregor, then in the Attorney General’s Chambers, subsequently as an attorney-at-law in private chambers and a member of the Constitutional Commission before moving to Ireland in 1995, where she presently resides with her family.

Justice Twomey graduated with a BA in English and French Law from the University of Kent, Canterbury, holds a degree in French Law from the University of Paris-Sud and was admitted as a Member of the Bar at Middle Temple, London, and as an Attorney-at-Law in Seychelles.

She holds a Master’s Degree in Public Law and has completed her PhD research at the National University of Ireland, Galway, and will defend her thesis in early September.

She currently lectures at the National University of Ireland in Galway. Mrs Twomey was appointed a non-resident judge of the Court of Appeal in March 2011. Justice Twomey will be sworn in as Chief Justice by President Michel on 18 August.

Commenting on the appointment, President Michel noted that the empowerment of Seychellois – especially women – has always been and will continue to be at the core of his philosophy and policies for the advancement and progress of the country.

“Justice Twomey is a highly-qualified legal practitioner, with a wealth of experience and knowledge, which, no doubt, will be of vast benefit to the legal and judicial system in our country and the reforms that are needed,” said the President.

“She is the third Seychellois Chief Justice and I’m particularly proud of the fact that I have appointed a woman to the post, a first for Seychelles and a major achievement,” added President Michel.

http://www.statehouse.gov.sc/news.php?news_id=2829

Comment -

Dear Friends - It would seem that humanity is really standing on its Head - prior to events surrounding our affairs/life took the time to address the greater public, the police, politicians and Justice system in Seychelles - warning them of the impacts - those who have to take decision who they will be affected and impacted - Also adding that the impacting issue can cause loss of life and other graver issues. WE have worked Justice issue of Seychelles, Mauritius, beside the USA, Britain, France EU for the past 35 years form a high Interdisciplinary responsibilities far longer, complex-or and challenging that any working experience of Judge Twomey. The call for accountability - in every half civilized system when you have justice being appointed to the highest of the administration - the citizens, the Institutions, the people and NGO have a Right to know how the process took place how the decision was taken. We would be prepared to stand in Seychelles court supported by due legal support and explain how this/it works. Everybody in working the Justice/legal and policing system in Seychelles Sechelle know if this is the case there is enough ground for challenging the appointment.

We can/could - those in USA, the White House, EU who know we can use the same discipline to create/bring about a highly negative development - none of you could hold my person responsible since you refute and ignore that we can impact and influence the appointment of very senior Officials, Executive and Ministers.

{" This is a topic we have covered and address a number of times. In 1986, when the Seychelles exile/refugees factions, Opposition were very active in Britain, France, Canada, South Africa, Australia, Germany, Italy, Canada, Holland, Belgium, among them those who discussed and weight, argued for and against the respective political system to be reintroduced, the functionality of the would be/eventual government. Among the discussions who would head the Army/Defense, Police and Attorney General Office and the chief Justice.

In our special case not once but four times was involved in this process and later after the reintroduction of Multi party when then President FA Rene and some of the exile who had return would confer with my person on such issues/topic. (Those who require details we can provide them)

Very specifically - the person of then Lawyer Philippe Boulle who had wish to retain the post of Chief Justice in the eventual military change or that SIROP program implemented under different circumstance. This is not a small matter - in turn we would refer and confer with other bigger Powers, well establish Democracy, their high parties in USA, South Africa, Canada, Britain, France, Vatican, Australia and their Justice and other Institutions officials. Beside our own exile, experience individual in the respective field of appointment. We had stressed to Lawyer Philippe Boulle - of the need to be very clear. One could not aspire for the office of President and Chief Justice at the same time. Therein lay the difference of views - had he been clear about his intention of landing the chief Justice Post we would have supported it. We are not addressing this for polite conversation - these have very serious implications. It was over this divergence of view that James Alix Michel door became open to future High Office. President FA Rene is still alive and have all the details, those alive then. Those who do not understand such high workings/rather the Benchmarks they have been badly educated in - most of these High Office require external or Internal High Interdisciplinary Management support"}

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

First female Seychellois Chief Justice appointed

Post  Sirop14 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:33 pm

First female Seychellois Chief Justice appointed

President James Michel yesterday, upon the unanimous recommendation of the Constitutional Appointments Authority, Justice Twomeyappointed Justice Mathilda Twomey, née Butler Payette, as the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Seychelles.

Mrs Twomey, who is the third Seychellois Chief Justice but the first female to be appointed to the post, has had an illustrious career in the legal profession. She served as a barrister first in the Ocean Gate Law Centre as pupil to Justice Francis MacGregor, then in the Attorney General’s Chambers, subsequently as an attorney-at-law in private chambers and a member of the Constitutional Commission before moving to Ireland in 1995, where she presently resides with her family.

Justice Twomey graduated with a BA in English and French Law from the University of Kent, Canterbury, holds a degree in French Law from the University of Paris-Sud and was admitted as a Member of the Bar at Middle Temple, London, and as an Attorney-at-Law in Seychelles.

She holds a Master’s Degree in Public Law and has completed her PhD research at the National University of Ireland, Galway, and will defend her thesis in early September.

She currently lectures at the National University of Ireland in Galway.

Mrs Twomey was appointed a non-resident judge of the Court of Appeal in March 2011. Justice Twomey will be sworn in as Chief Justice by President Michel on August 18.

Commenting on the appointment, President Michel noted that the empowerment of Seychellois – especially women – has always been and will continue to be at the core of his philosophy and policies for the advancement and progress of the country.

“Justice Twomey is a highly-qualified legal practitioner, with a wealth of experience and knowledge, which, no doubt, will be of vast benefit to the legal and judicial system in our country and the reforms that are needed,” said the President.

“She is the third Seychellois Chief Justice and I’m particularly proud of the fact that I have appointed a woman to the post, a first for Seychelles and a major achievement,” added President Michel.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246397

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Interview with Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey

Post  Sirop14 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:37 pm

Interview with Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey

19-August-2015
‘My appointment is recognition of my effort to review the judicial system’

Newly appointed Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey said the position is a unique one to be in and one which she intends to harness to spearhead constitutional and structural reforms already started.

She said she will serve both the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court with equal energy and fervour.

Speaking after the swearing-in ceremony at State House yesterday morning, Justice Twomey said she is really proud and feels honoured to have been chosen for this position.

“I know there are great expectations from the public and huge responsibilities on my shoulders and I hope I can deliver as I am expected to. It will not be easy and I recognise that it is a huge load but with the support of my colleagues we will succeed to further modernise the judiciary,” said Justice Twomey.

With regard to greater structural reforms she said this will address case management for speedier outcome on court cases as well as streamlining court administration for more efficiency and speedier delivery of justice for all.

“It is a known fact that there is too much delay in court cases,” she pointed out, adding that delays in hearing court cases are our biggest problem.

“This cannot continue. We have to do something to address this. People need to have a timeframe of at least a year for a case to be heard,” Justice Twomey stressed.

She added it is sad that through the social media people who have no knowledge in law assign partisan political motives to every court decision and define the judiciary by the relationships its members have.

But until now, she noted that she is happy all judgments delivered by the courts in Seychelles have been peer reviewed by international justices and none have been seen to be politically motivated.

“There is always a loser and a winner in all cases presented. It's very easy for a loser... to say that justice is only based according to the government or a political party. As for me personally, I’m not interested in politics and I’m neutral. My judgments are impartial and if they do not please one side, I regret as this is how justice is delivered,” said Mrs Twomey.

But how will she manage as the first person who is Chief Justice and also serving on the Court of Appeal?
“Cases that I hear in the Supreme Court I will not be able to deal with in the Court of Appeal but when I can I will handle more important and more difficult cases mostly constitutional cases but I want to maintain the close link with the Court of Appeal and to continue the work which I have started and put in place good jurisprudence for Seychelles,” Justice Twomey said.

The judiciary being a male-dominated field, what does Justice Twomey think made her succeed above her male colleagues to be appointed in this position?

“I believe I was chosen because I have always said I want to carry out reforms of our judicial system. I have started already with updating our law books, publishing our laws and judgment online through the SeyLII whereby everybody can have access and read the different cases and judgment delivered. I have also revised the Civil Code as well. My greatest duty to the people is to make justice accessible to all without having to go through a lawyer or a court library to have access to a court decision but you should be able to inform yourself by accessing it online. I will continue to push for all Seychellois to be able to inform themselves about our laws,” Justice Twomey said.

“I view my appointment as recognition of these efforts and it should come as no surprise that I intend to persevere with my reform efforts,” Justice Twomey said.

With her new position Justice Twomey, who until now has been living in Ireland with her family, will soon be moving back to Seychelles.
“I still have some personal matters to tend to and some work to complete in Ireland as well as my thesis to defend on September 11. But as soon as I complete all of these I will return to Seychelles and hopefully by the end of September I will start work in my new position,” she said.

Justice Twomey admitted that this new position will have some impact on her family life.

“I have had to make a lot of personal sacrifices and adjustments. I have four children – three of them adults who live abroad and a 12-year-old daughter who will stay with her father in Ireland to continue her education. But I am devoted to my country and I am ready to make those sacrifices,” she pointed out.

Taking into consideration the fact that when she started her studies it was not common for women to study law so why the interest in pursuing a career in law?
Justice Twomey noted that as a child law was a field that always interested her.

“My father was a prison superintendent and I would say I grew up among prisoners and this is when I developed the desire to know more about law. As a woman I never thought nor felt at a disadvantage to choose such a profession, I just decided to do it,” she said.

The President of the Court of Appeal, Francis MacGregor of whom Justice Twomey was a pupil has expressed great joy and pride following her appointment in this post.

“I am really happy and proud because it shows that hard work pays in the end. Success and achievements in life do not fall from the sky but are the results of hard work,” Mr MacGregor said.

He added that he will continue to be there for Justice Twomey to advise her when required but without interfering in her work.
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246495

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

First Seychellois female Chief Justice sworn in

Post  Sirop14 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:02 pm

First Seychellois female Chief Justice sworn in

19-August-2015

Mathilda Twomey, née Butler Payette, was sworn into office as the new and first Seychellois female Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Seychelles in a ceremony at State House yesterday morning.

She took the Oaths of Allegiance and the Judicial Oath before President James Michel and in the presence of the Speaker of the National Assembly, Dr Patrick Herminie, the president of the Court of Appeal, Justice Francis MacGregor, judges and justices of appeal, the chairperson and members of the Constitutional Appointments Authority, the deputy Attorney General, senior lawyers, members of her family, as well as senior officials in the Office of the President.

Justice Twomey's appointment as Chief Justice follows the unanimous recommendation made to the President of the Republic by the Constitutional Appointments Authority.

She becomes the first Seychellois female to hold the post of Chief Justice in the country.

In a statement she made at the end of the swearing-in ceremony, Chief Justice Twomey expressed her gratitude for the trust and confidence that the Constitutional Appointments Authority and President Michel have placed in her. She said she would serve Seychelles to the very best of her ability.

“I am honoured to have been appointed Chief Justice by President James Michel on the recommendation of the Constitutional Appointments Authority… It is an office which carries onerous duties and great responsibility. I acknowledge the learned men who have preceded me in this office. The expectations of the bench, bar and the Seychellois people in general are high. I welcome the huge challenge and will do my best to live up to it,” said Chief Justice Twomey.

She added: “I will now sit in the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court, and will serve both with equal energy and fervour. It is a unique position to be in and one which I intend to harness to spearhead the constitutional and structural reforms to see our judicial system brought into the 21st century.”

She however noted that cases that she hears in the Supreme Court she will not be able to deal with in the Court of Appeal.

Justice Twomey stressed that the judiciary should refrain from engaging in political arguments and that its officers should deliver according to their official oaths of office.

“It must also rise above modern multimedia influences that reduce our justice system to a case-by-case microcosm that assigns partisan political motives to every court decision and defines the judiciary by the relationships its members have, especially in the tiny community of Seychelles where everyone is interrelated by bonds of kinship or friendship. Its officers must perform their duties serene in the respect of their constitutional oaths of office, and in its mandate of an independent and impartial judiciary. Its greater responsibility is to strive in the maintenance of the rule of law,” she said.

Justice Twomey graduated with a BA in English and French Law from the University of Kent, Canterbury. She holds a degree in French Law from the University of Paris-Sud and was admitted as a member of the Bar at Middle Temple, London in 1987, and as an Attorney-at-Law in Seychelles.

Mrs Twomey has had an illustrious career in the legal profession, serving as a barrister first in the Ocean Gate Law Centre, as pupil to Francis MacGregor, now president of the Court of Appeal. She also served in the Attorney General’s Chambers, and later as an attorney-at-law in private chambers.  She was a member of the Constitutional Commission which drafted the Constitution of the Third Republic.  She moved to Ireland in 1995, where she has been resident until now.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246496

Comment - Those who know the great Tradition of Sechelles Seychelles Justice - their respective connections. We note/have noted that the new appointed Chief Justice in 1987 was admitted to the Bar of Middle Temple etc - it was the same year we/I wrote that SIROP program and very worse as a lawyer the mega buzz in London over/about that program, in Europe, the USA, USSR, East Europe, China and South Africa and Asia - India and Australia. Those three leading law firms we were in contacts for advice and the many leading personalities in Britain. With due respect the Chief Justice need to come forward and clear some of these issues otherwise she will not have any credibility. She has the resources to contact the many Law firs we have mentioned and the chartered accountants and demand a proper report over that SIROP program negotiation in Britain - all those involved.  { Former Minister Pat Pillay have stressed we need not be afraid/frighted - if only he knew what we knew and the many attempts to have my person eliminated - otherwise we will have to battle for many years to prove that there have been a major cover up over that SIROP program involving and including the Seychelles Justice and Judiciary. }

She can use all the British and Seychelles justice resource to study and inform her person how that SIROP program impacted British Justice system and court procedures and method of delivering Justice and punishments.

This said at the time those leading Seychellois exile Lawyer we were in indirect contact and their advice on that SIROP program, most important Sir George Souyave. She needs to verify and clear this topic otherwise she will always have question to answer - beside then Judge Sauzier.

From a political prospective - the above said if/should there be a political change she will be bitterly challenged - why she has chosen to keep quiet about the many important events and changing topics associated with that SIROP program - we Seychellois demand Justice from other Nations and their Institution and yet when we have the capacity and responsibility we refuse and fail to act.

We have also noted she studied law in France - then President F Mitterrand government and Officials and very important impute in that SIROP program.  Who is/was  telling lies, being dishonest  President F Mitterrand or then newly qualify Towmey. Beside in France a number of great Judges have lost their position over that SIROP program debacles - she will need to study these very closely.

What about the very many Irish/Ireland North and South/Republic of Ireland  Associated issues - give my person the legal support we will address these in public or the court in Seychelles or Europe. She has a duty to come clean on such important issues. The world and many other who read and monitor our exile forums and blogs topics.

"For the records how e came about to choose some of he leading law firms in London to advice us on that SIROP program and the Chartered accountants - beside other leading personalities - Sir Geroge Souyave knew who they were and all about, he guided us beside Judge Sauzier the manner we referred issues and topics as they developed and came about- they were both skeptical that Seychelles would every change and that that Program would be implemented By then President FA Rene and his cabinet the total and utter lies the world and Seychelles have been told all those years."

To make it really spicy - all those who knew Prince Rainier was advising us, particularly the British, French, USA and South African Intelligence Services, on many issues specially the big finance/Economic issues, connections, Russian and East Europe of that SIROP program - where President F Mitterrand would not budge or refuse to assist or help - there are/exist ways and means to verify and check these out. The important Irish connections of Princess Grace of Monaco. Most important then Seychelles P2 Lodge Masonic connections.

Last edited by Sirop14 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

‘Sexy’ R50 Seychelles banknote to be sold at auction

Post  Sirop14 on Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:29 pm

‘Sexy’ R50 Seychelles banknote to be sold at auction

19-August-2015

A R50 Seychelles banknote with the word ‘sex’ secretly written in palm trees is to be sold at auction in England.

Issued between 1968 and 1973 and featuring an image of the Queen, the banknote is due to be sold at Duke of Dorchester in October. It has an estimated value of £200.

Timothy Medhurst of Duke's told the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) that it is not known for sure who left the hidden message in the note, but it could have been done by the printers.

He said some believe the word was added as Seychelles was trying to gain independence from Britain.

Another note in the series contains the word "scum", suggesting the additions were deliberate.

Fifty rupees is worth about £2.50 (US $3.80).

Mr Medhurst said: "This is a very collectable item for obvious reasons.”
“Amazingly the added message wasn't noticed, or was perhaps never mentioned, until after it stopped being printed. Many think the engraver Brian Fox of Bradbury & Wilkinson, the printers, put it in.

"It is an otherwise attractive note but would have disappeared into obscurity if it had not been for its secret message,” he added.

A collection of coins, notes and medals is to be auctioned on October 15.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246493

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Justice Mathilda Twomey, née Butler Payette is appointed as the new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of

Post  Sirop14 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:00 am

20/8/2015
Last night we addressed the very unique and important role Sir George Souyave played in that SIROP program to the International community, from a Justice/Judicial discipline/component in that SIROP program. The UN/UNHCR, the IMF/World Bank, the USA, the then  EU, Commonwealth, the Francophone, the OAU, the None Aligned, the Arab Leagues, the Vatican, the Royal workings of Europe, the International Courts, beside Britain and France - the then USSR, then COMECON entity, then NATO, then Warsaw Pact. The International Socialist and Communist workings, those from the Club of Rome, those form the Pan European Union, sister Institutions . In many Instance the very controversial issues/topics that was/were addressed/referred to him those who knew, were informed and remembers. Those who disagreed - the degree and extent we should be allowed freedom within that SIROP program and later its implementation to become involved in greater Justice/Legal complexities even if Sechelles Seychelles was a tiny Nation in the Indian Ocean - they judge,  they had the Power/options to veto a given sets of topics and issue we were workings on/associated or related - beyond our boundaries, grasps and capacities. . The many times he used his past colonial experiences and knowledge to explain/share and dialogue with those parties. In the end he had to pay with his life, they killed him - the so call ill. In Sechelles, Mauritius, Reunion, London, Paris, Australia, the USA, Canada, some of our European connections the Irish, Vatican. The Judges, Chief Justice International workings, the British and French, Australian Bar Association/Fraternity likewise. He had been killed for defending some of the complex/complicated aspects of that SIROP program  and indeed President FA Rene ought to know better what really took place. Much more important the Legal Fraternity in later Seychelles after 1991 who got to know what had taken place - his untimely death. All those getting cold feet so to say/scared/intimidated., thoughtful. Sir Geroge Souyave is not the only person to have lost his life this way involved in that historic Program - had there been a UN/EU/AU Review of that SIROP Program - these burning events, development, impacts and tragedy, incidents will would have had to be addressed, reviewed and recorded. Hence our reluctance to for a very long time publish/share with the greater public/media and world institutions the greater/ very complex and complicated contents of that historic program. Those High Parties involved their respective International and National Institutions and vested Interests.

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Just look at this development - historic/you should make your research

Post  Sirop14 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:22 am

German "Ostpolitik" pioneer Egon Bahr dies at 93
BERLIN (AP) — Egon Bahr, the German statesman who helped pioneer the "Ostpolitik" policy of improving relations with the communist East under West German Chancellor Willy Brandt, has died. He was 93.

Social Democratic party leader Sigmar Gabriel told the dpa news agency Thursday that Bahr died overnight.

As a state secretary under Brandt, Bahr helped guide negotiations between East and West Germany, as well as with the Soviets, and played a key role in the negotiation of several treaties. He also served as minister for special affairs, then minister for economic cooperation under Brandt's successor, Helmut Schmidt.

Gabriel said that Bahr "put his trust in the might of freedom and the power of dialogue, that was the basis for 'change through rapprochement.'"
http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-german-ostpolitik-pioneer-egon-bahr-dies-at-93-2015-8#ixzz3jLiceriv

Ich habe soeben mit großer Trauer vom Tod Egon Bahrs erfahren.

Nur wenigen Politikern ist es vergönnt, mit einer Idee die Welt zu verändern und erleben zu dürfen, wie die eigene Vision noch zu Lebzeiten Wirklichkeit wird. Bei Egon Bahr war es so - seine Vorstellungen von einer radikal neuen Ostpolitik und vom 'Wandel durch Annäherung' haben buchstäblich den Lauf der Geschichte verändert und die deutsche und europäische Einigung erst möglich gemacht.
Egon Bahr war zeit seines langen, erfüllten Lebens überzeugt, dass es dauerhaften Frieden in Europa nur mit, nicht ohne Russland geben kann.
Bis zum Ende seines Lebens waren Egon Bahrs Stimme und sein Rat gefragt. Auch wir beide haben uns bis zuletzt oft über die drohende Spaltung des europäischen Kontinents ausgetauscht. Mich hat tief beeindruckt, mit welch unverwechselbarer Mischung aus Klugheit und Geschick, Geduld und Beharrlichkeit es ihm gelungen ist, für seine Überzeugungen zu werben und die Welt tatsächlich zu verändern.
Mit Egon Bahr ist ein großer Mensch und ein großer Politiker von uns gegangen. Er wird mir als Freund und Vorbild fehlen.

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11866253_10155946894225486_6354492424976511800_n.jpg?oh=48db04f9521e9a15bd2aae675db9b7d0&oe=567E6099

Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier

Mit großer Bestürzung und tiefer Trauer haben wir in der letzten Nacht vom Tode Egon Bahrs erfahren. Die gesamte deutsche Sozialdemokratie und viele Menschen darüber hinaus in Deutschland und Europa trauern um diesen mutigen, aufrichtigen und großen Sozialdemokraten, den Architekten der deutschen Einheit, Friedenspolitiker und Europäer. Egon Bahr war ein großer Vordenker der Sozialdemokratie, der mit einzigartiger politischer Tatkraft Konzepte in die Tat umsetzte. Er vertraute wesentlich auf die Macht der Freiheit und die Kraft des Gesprächs, das war die Grundlage für den "Wandel durch Annäherung". Die Ostpolitik Willy Brandts und Egon Bahrs war eine entscheidende Voraussetzung zur Überwindung der Teilung Deutschlands und Europas. Wir sind dankbar, dass er seine Sozialdemokratie bis in die jüngste Zeit stets loyal als unermüdlicher Ratgeber begleitet hat und werden seine analytische Brillanz, seine Rationalität und Leidenschaft, aber auch sein Temperament und seinen liebenswürdigen Humor sehr vermissen. Und persönlich habe ich bis zuletzt viele anregende Gespräche mit Egon geführt. Ich werde Egon auch als Freund und Ratgeber sehr vermissen.

Minister - Sigmar Gabriel

Egon Bahr: Der Baumeister der deutschen Ostpolitik ist tot

Der SPD-Politiker und engster Vertrauter von Willy Brandt verstarb im Alter von 93 Jahren. Die Wiedervereinigung Deutschlands war sein politisches Ziel.

http://diepresse.com/home/politik/aussenpolitik/4802909/Egon-Bahr_Der-Baumeister-der-deutschen-Ostpolitik-ist-tot?_vl_backlink=/home/index.do

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egon_Bahr

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Savannah Moodley gone too early but forever in the hearts of loved ones

Post  Sirop14 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:36 am

Came across this news at Seychelles Nation - we did not know that there existed a Moodley Family in Sechelles Seychelles - so what is the issues/connection.

At many of our SIROP blog addressed those NGO/Voluntary, Grass Roots and Ethnic communities who helped - network and resource that SIROP program -our greater exile/refugee workings in then London.

Mr Ronnie Moodley - ran/contributed and helped organize several conferences,, help to set up UKSCA,  forum discussion and the Pan African Congress in  London and the ANC - the Seychelles One party system. ( the President FA Rene and his Cabinet knew of Him and those from South Africa, the White government and the underground )

The most important  of this conference was after the Munich Seychelles exiles/refugees joint conference to support and help us with that SIROP program,  he organized this conference at Ealing Town Hall, the Irish participated importantly and many other - pictures and report. The many East European Underground exiles we were in contact - beside the setting up of alternative platform for the exile/refugee in London as against British Refugee council and others. Those who had other agendas for the exile/refugees and their Homosexual indoctrination/workings/control.

He was very disappointed and concern when Multiparty return to Seychelles 1991 and what took place and I was not allowed to return/participate - with a number acquaintance and friends from the NGO Sector he and they indicated I should go to Bruxelles and work in the EU NGO sector - what really took place those who prevented us.

Upon My force return to London 1997, the Mc Alpine issues and Princess Diana death/and Mr Al Fayhad son - everything destroyed and ransacked in Caple Le fern - I turned to him  and then Refugee Forum - {then Mrs Kathleen Pillay our Office in Hounslow by the weigh Bridge then Mr Leslie Forsyth form the SNP/Ex Navy Training office, until her departure to Seychelles.}

They moved and formed ARHAG after evens of the Berlin Wall, Germany Reunification  and the mega changes in USSR, the COMECON, South Africa, Latin America, North Africa and elsewhere. NCVO new Buildings and LVSC New Building Resource Center on Holloway Rd. ARHAG was a very Important Housing Association providing and offering solution to the exile/refugee communities - there began the development of the corrupted High Management Benchmark which had began to hit/corrupt and affect many organisations, government workings  and big business - he fell into the Trap - It was very sad and took it personal -  to see such a talented person become involved in such issues and loosing everything he/we had worked so very hard to build. Our connections  the ANC, Big boys and many others, Mrs Winnie Mandela - the Live Aid Program, Ethiopia Program and many others.

Savannah Moodley gone too early but forever in the hearts of loved ones
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246502

http://www.arhag.co.uk/

http://nottsrefugeeforum.org.uk/

http://www.ramfel.org.uk/wordpress/

http://www.lgcplus.com/13-borough-housing-association-loses-its-head/502511.article

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/arhag-boss-shamefully-betrayed-housing-ideals/1448494.article

http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/politics/disabled_group_considers_high_court_challenge_if_their_centre_is_to_close_1_812373

Note - We have been gifted three large builders bag of well rotten horse manure and two small bags for the garden - it remain to be seen where they will land/end up.

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Justice Mathilda Twomey, née Butler Payette is appointed as the new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of

Post  Sirop14 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:59 pm

The media reports/write that Judge/Chief Justice Matilda Towmey did/undertook, started her initial law studies in Canterbury. Canterbury have/has a very important and special place in the Christian aspect of our Sechelles Seychelles values and heritage - the resting place and the many important French Names on the grave stones. Much more important those French/Norman Priests who came over to Canterbury and preached and build the first church in Then ancient England. In a few simple words it was the french/our French ancestors that brought Christianity to the Land know and Great Britain. { We embedded those issues in that Seychelles EU community Coat of arms/emblem}
With this knowledge, Christian aspect of life to guide us among the inhabitants of the pears and Apple and hops, The way I/we visualize Old Kent also know as the basket of England. We gradually build a/some kind of bridge from 1991 when we could not migrate to France or Belgium which had been my/our objective if I could not return Home along with the exile/refugee Leadership. So I went there to pray.

What very many refuse to acknowledge just as we were in Contact with the Holy Sea/Vatican High representation in London for many years before that SIROP program was conceived, written and promoted. Was also in touch with the Archbishop of Canterbury and also went to pay them a visit or two visits over the SIROP program - naming it SIROP Program and explaining who we were and followed with a letter. In that Sechelles Seychelles then Archbishop Chang Him and then Rev Wavel Wankalawan.

Much more important - events leading to that SIROP program - We have a cousin who was A prominent Teacher in South End /Canvey Island, during summer Holidays would take group of School children to Holiday in France- we?i would visit and share those experiences. Something happened - he was over-stressed by the School system and compelled to stop Teaching and arose the question what was he to do - we spent time talking and praying on his side with the SDA Church - the new conference Center in Seychelles then One party system had just been build, purpose and objectives and my person was also involved - then London, Paris and other places, the economic situation in Seychelles and Europe - we discussed the prospect of Starting a Conference/Holiday Tour in Seychelles. Something much more important took place, that SIROP program had been quasi accepted by President FA Rene and his Cabinet and the norm to test his good will, government reaction and those who supported him Internationally - we had gone on a visit to Canterbury Cathedral and they had a very important function - the Blessing of Water, where Church goers/individuals, children and elderly bring water in whatever they can and have and the Mass/Ceremony to Bless the Water. We also talked about the subject of what he was to do if the Conference/holiday project failed, did not work out - that was when the Idea for the International Festivals of Classical Music was born. The Family in question was engage in supporting the OU and later SNP. We talked what if we could take a plane load of school children to Seychelles with their Teachers and parents and other to keep an eye. The dreadful things which the media writes and covers in that Seychelles - what it was like our exile/refugee politic in Britain and world wide - the entrenched position and the One party system those who know the very dark and evil side of then One party system/Seychelles then Libya and other extremism global connection, Iraq and others. Much more important then President FA Rene utter contempt and hate for the British/English system and their politic. So Mr Marc Sabadin went about planning and negotiating with the many authorities and persons for the Group Travel on Air Seychelles - then Mr Lenney Rene very used to controversial issues and the then many in Seychelles well aware. The go ahead was give that the school Children could travel/enter Seychelles then communist and lone party system - the Seychelles Intelligence, Police and army would have all the details because there were talk of using that flight to over throw the government as cover up by certain in London - we had challenged/told them bluntly do not dare. It was part of my personal responsibility to safeguard their flight, safe entry into that then Seychelles One party system, the Police and other Police , Military structures, with the parents and Teachers, and others - the South African government were very aware and on alert. Those in London who would have all the details. That plane/Flight was watched monitored very very closely by those in London and the USA/Paris who knew what was taking place, their military and Resource on standby - so they arrived home in Seychelles and we were ready to fill our underpants because at any time an incident could occur /be triggered and the many thing going on then - the report coming back, their visit had been positive and mentioned in the then media. The coverage by the British media their going and their Return. In Seychelles the many opposition and Families breathing relief and hope that better thing was to come. { What nobody said aloud or wrote, that these school children had been used a guinea pigs/experiment to test the water and resolve of President FA Rene, his Regime and the Communist system}

Every body chose to forget and they chose to write as History or rather invent them to suit their respective agenda. We have today the Canterbury Cathedral to witness against that historic event and following events.

What about the unique role of then USFA staff/Executives in then Sechelles Seychelles - those well aware who they were, the CIA, the Navy, the Pentagon and FBI, NASA. Had they not been their,! what may have happened, that flight may/would probable never have taken place - they were a very important part of the guarantee/Insurance.

http://www.localhistories.org/canterbury.html

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sirop14 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:01 pm

We addressed the issues of Sir George Souyave important involvement, support and advice for a legal/justice point of view - when we started become involvement more complicated international issues and areas those who decided they were beyond the reaches of the Small Seychelles and took his life. ( The below added issue/thematic is just one of the major issue involving the person of Sir George Souyave his many former colleagues then) Over the years have emphasis how that SIROP Program impacted and influenced many aspects of Law/Justice system - the very many across he world who have written/pen their views and expertise - in Seychelles, the then chief justice, lawyers, Judges in particular Justice Souzier, and the newly appointed Judge Mathilda Towmey - with all their accumulated knowledge and experiences, expertise how they all sold out the 25,000 Seychelles exiles, their respective rights. - we will say /stress this in any court. Much more most of them got scared and cold feet and just never mentioned that SIROP program - in the process their dishonest Benchmark. We were reflecting on the many process and contributions before that SIROP program was introduces - part of the arguments and calculation - the many lawyers/vultures had not arrived to cash in - how it would impact the many legal and justice system and for this we got into big trouble with the high parties in USA - you go ahead with you politic leave the big and important legal issues to us and the UN or the relevant international Justice bodies. In many instance we had provoked changed specifically acted to influence existing legal practice and justice system. This turned my person into a Maverick. We did not support his view/their views. After all we wrote that program with due respect to all those that contributed and advised us. We have done a brief reading here into comparative laws , ebook - from high management and Interdisciplinary discipline how we impact justice workings and law delivery - yet nobody have even hinted there existed and SIROP program and its respective role/place. We trust we are not talking in the forest or the desert. Is it not time that somebody address this - the UN/UNHCR , the EU, African Union may never arrive/come. {It is time we get a little plainer - within the context of that SIROP program the very unique and important work/role we played for may years to drive the USSR high politic that it became acceptable to the West - world, people do you know /understand grasp what this means and we are writing here and what led to the break of this unique international relation - it is the deviousness of the so call Justice system of the world, those who are educated to manage and see to is running, what they did and the decision for Russia to go down the path it has and BRICS, coming into existence and every body with any Power in the West utterly angry - the mountain of judicial, justice and legal literature, books, documentation and magazines and bodies specialty set up, those who have been importantly involved and they are monitoring what we are currently addressing and their respective attitude/comportment} (May we add since we have opened the can of worms/taboo topic - then Sir George Souyave and his legal associates, those personalities who impute and advised us of that Program impact on all the COI regional nations workings - including Justice//Law, policing including the region of East Africa, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Judge Durado of Zanzibar aware - respective impute Ethiopia - yet they too what the have written, reported and concluded on justice changes, practice, management and delivery, the OAU institutions was well aware he impacting issues, the ANC, the Relevant UN Institutions - from there on developed the much greater agenda of a new kind of corruption, all those involved) https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=WjrjBAAAQBAJ&pg=PA139...

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sirop14 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:04 pm

We had wanted to attend church this morning on the occasion of Judge/chief Justice Matilda Twomey official swearing - some/certain individuals did not like what we have addressed in that last Tread comment and since this morning they have triggered "our eye blinking and black/blurred vision Problem" - to prevent us/me from focusing - then when we address the UNHCR and European Justice they get mad and uptight "the only Justice that count/matters is British Justice". - beside the new neighbors issues - in Seychelles those feeling it/them - Instead harvested some large black berries and will attempt to make some Jam.

Before we had a Seychelles University those who had to be friends of the Government to be sent abroad for studies and when they came back they had to sing the song the government told them to sing - With university of Seychelles things have changed yet - nobody is coming forward to publish their views on the topic of that SIROP program. The very manner we had to go about it - short of being sent to jail you lot do you really know what was going in that Exile community in London - we should have allowed them to change the country by force and kill/rid/eliminate all those that had been designated to be eliminated/killed. Instead we put together that SIROP program what really took place in London, Europe and he world over that program - We did not to to the UN because we knew what to expect form them - again the manner we implemented that return/repatriation program. This morning the publication in Le Mauritian the mounting concern by all parties the eventual fate of the Chagossain - We at least endeavored something far better - even then this pleased nobody and the situation today.

http://www.lemauricien.com/.../chagos-leurre-sordide-des...

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ceremonial opening of Court moved to January

Post  Sirop14 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:15 am

Ceremonial opening of Court moved to January

03-September-2015

The ceremonial opening of the Supreme Court will henceforth take place in January instead of mid-September as has been the case over the years, Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey has announced.

As such the ceremonial opening of the Court will not occur on September 15 this year as previously planned and circulated. Instead it will be held on January 11, 2016.

CJ Twomey said it makes more sense to hold the ceremonial opening of the Supreme Court at the beginning of the first legal term of each year, being January 10, or the first working day thereafter if it falls on a public holiday.

“It makes logical sense to open the Courts at the beginning of the legal year, which is also the beginning of the calendar year. Before shifting the ceremony, I have sought the advice of the esteemed members of the Judiciary and Magistracy, the Attorney-General and representatives of the Bar Association of Seychelles and have their support in this regard,” said CJ Twomey in a letter to all media outlets and newspapers.

Despite the fact that the opening of Court has always been held on September 15, CJ Twomey said she is satisfied that the legal framework is logically consistent with a shift to January.

“The Seychelles Code of Civil Procedure (SCCP) read with the Supreme Court (Term) Rules of 1981, state that the first term of the Legal Year would be that commencing in January (section 4). With regard to altering a time-honoured tradition, I am aware that the ceremonial opening has always been held on September 15 in line with the English opening of Court. The tradition of the ceremony itself is something that is important in our legal community.

It gives us a chance to reflect on a year and to plan for the next one, to re-dedicate ourselves to pursuing justice and to express appreciation for the unsung heroes of the judiciary. I would not do away with that. However, holding the ceremony on September 15 is merely a tradition and the day itself has no special importance in the Seychelles calendar.

A decision to shift away from the European annual calendar has been taken in some other Commonwealth jurisdictions such as Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Lesotho, all of which still honour their history by having opening ceremonies. Incidentally all of these have shifted their ceremonial opening to January.

I am not suggesting that we do away with this important tradition, but rather that it is shifted to better reflect the annual cycle in Seychelles, the wording of the SCCP, and in this particular instance it will also ensure that I am able to attend the first opening since becoming Chief Justice and having settled into Office. I will have had an opportunity to engage with the stakeholders within the judiciary and will be able to outline my plans for the Judiciary starting from 2016,” writes CJ Twomey in her letter.

The third court term will begin on September 15 with business as usual.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=246651

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Elections Act and Political Parties Act

Post  Sirop14 on Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:45 pm

Elections Act and Political Parties Act

07-September-2015
Electoral Commission proposes more changes

The Electoral Commission has recommended to the President certain amendments to the Elections Act and Political Parties Act to clear “certain anomalies” which have been identified.
These amendments cover:
1. The anomaly which may exists between the Constitution and the Elections Act on the issue of closing of the Voters Register once elections are announced;
2. The need to specify that an electronic copy of the certified register of voters be provided to political parties;
3. The need to specify the details which should be included in the electronic copy;
4. Making provision for voting facilities for voters who are on remand;
5. Making provision for a list of applications for registrations, transfers, objections, received every month to be made available to all political parties.
The Electoral Commission has also filed a petition to the Constitutional Court on the issue of voters who will attain the age of 18 after the closing of the register.
The Electoral Commission, which is mandated under the Constitution
of the Republic of Seychelles to undertake reforms in the Electoral Laws of the country to promote and facilitate free and credible democratic elections, embarked on a major exercise of Electoral Reform in close collaboration with all stakeholders and in particular all political parties.
The recommendations of this process were presented to the President and some of them were subsequently legislated.
Significant changes were made to the Public Order Act, the Elections Act and Political parties Act in 2013 and 2015.
“Despite the substantive amendments recommended, it has become evident that the amendments which have been legislated have not necessarily always reflected the exact intentions of the recommendations as made by the Electoral Reform proposals,” the EC said in a communiqué.
Hence the reason why the above mentioned amendments to the Elections Act and Political Parties Act have been sent to the President for recommendation.
The EC has however noted that these proposals are by no means substantive and in the spirit of working with the political parties and stakeholders towards more democratic and fair elections, it (the EC) will continue to make such recommendations as and when these become evident and necessary .

Seychelles Nation

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

UniSey and the Judiciary seek closer cooperation

Post  Sirop14 on Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:23 pm

UniSey and the Judiciary seek closer cooperation

06-October-2015

The University of Seychelles (UniSey) and the Judiciary have set the pace for better cooperation in the future.
This has come through the signing of two memoranda of understanding (MoUs) between the two institutions.
One MoU provides for the UniSey to offer a vocational bar course and bar examinations while the other will permit the production and publication of more secondary legal materials through the Seychelles Legal Information Institute (Seylii).
The signing ceremony took place yesterday morning at the Palais de Justice. Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey signed on behalf of the judiciary while vice-chancellor Denis Hardy signed for the university. Also present were judges and lawyers as well as deans of the different UniSey faculties and other judiciary and university staff.
Chief Justice Twomey, who expressed her passion for high quality legal education and its role in promoting a culture of strong and considered justice in Seychelles, has described the MoU signing as “just the start of a process of cooperation” between the two parties.
She added that she considers the two MoUs as very important in driving forward legal education in Seychelles, as the first will provide specialist training for lawyers before they run the bar examination and the second will add high quality secondary sources of legal information to the Seylii website.
“This will allow us to enrich the Seychelles jurisprudence through encouraging legal debate and academic review. […] This will allow our lawyers to deepen their understanding of the laws of Seychelles, which are not taught in any other forum. Many of our lawyers are trained overseas, and even the locally trained lawyers do the University of London syllabus through UniSey,” the chief justice said, concluding that she is looking forward to the relationship that will develop between the UniSey and the Judiciary.
One of the first initiatives to be developed as part of this relationship will be a writing competition dedicated to the memory of the late Justice André Sauzier which was launched during yesterday’s ceremony.
A joint venture between UniSey and the Judiciary, the ‘André Sauzier Legal Writing Competition’ will be opened to law students and young lawyers. It aims at the promotion and dissemination of secondary interpretative legal materials which is hoped will increase the legal knowledge and access to justice in the Seychelles community.
Dr Marco Rizzi, head of law programme at the Faculty of Business and Law, agreed with Justice Twomey that the cooperation will be useful to the Judiciary and will permit to have good Seychellois lawyers who have been trained in Seychelles.
“Both agreements are really important. They will help prospective lawyers get a better education. We already have good lawyers but they have all been trained abroad. We will now also have good locally trained ones. Seylii already provides information to lawyers via its website. The agreement will now permit not only the publication of judgments, but also comments and analysis from the legal community. As for the competition, it will encourage young lawyers not only to practice law but also to write about it,” he said.
There are currently about 60 law students at the UniSey, of which 23 have started their studies this year.

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ellen Carolus appointed Master of the Supreme Court

Post  Sirop14 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:02 am

Ellen Carolus appointed Master of the Supreme Court

08-October-2015
Ellen Carolus has been appointed Master of the Supreme Court of Seychelles.
The Office of the President made the announcement yesterday.
The post had remained vacant since its separation from the functions of the Registrar of the Supreme Court.
Ms Carolus’ appointment follows recommendations made by the Constitutional Appointments Authority to the President of the Republic.
She holds a Bachelor’s degree in Law from the University of Mauritius and was admitted to the Bar in 2002.
In 2003 she was employed in the department of legal affairs as state counsel and rose to the rank of principal state counsel. She has attended specialist training courses in legal drafting organised by the Commonwealth and by the Legal Training Institute of Malaysia.
Ms Carolus has been practising as an Attorney-at-Law in the Supreme Court of Seychelles from 2009, and has also served as the director of legal affairs in the Fair Trading Commission, as well as legal consultant on various projects. Her most recent appointment was as legal counsel to the Sacos Group.
She has been a full member of the Commonwealth Association of Legislative Counsels since 2012.
Ms Carolus will be sworn in before the President tomorrow, Friday October 9

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247037

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Seychelles Media Commission’s editors’ forum

Post  Sirop14 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:19 pm

Seychelles Media Commission’s editors’ forum

27-October-2015
CJ clarifies gagging order and need for fair reporting

Every accused person should have a fair trial and it is important therefore that nothing which would be likely to interfere with a fair trial is allowed to happen.
Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey explained this to local newspaper editors and journalists present at yesterday’s third editor forum organised by the Seychelles Media Commission at the Citizens Engagement Platform of Seychelles (Ceps) conference room.
The CJ was making reference to the gagging order made by the Supreme Court in the Damienne Morel murder case, adding that once the jury in the case has been empanelled the media will be allowed to report on the case, but only in an accurate, fair and not malicious way.
Chief Justice Twomey pointed out that “court reporting is a very specialised field of reporting” adding that “it is not similar to the reports of other events that take place in everyday situations”.
She noted that most democracies have training for court reporting for the very simple reason that the main aspect of court reporting is to respect the right of any person to a fair trial. Because of the right of a person to a fair trial there are certain procedures that must be followed in order to make sure that happens.
The main reason for fair trial reporting is that contempt of court proceedings may be taken against reporters. So if a journalist interviews a witness before a trial or during a trial, or even put pressure on a witness to provide information at the trial, he/she stands the risk of being prosecuted for contempt of court.
Court reporting is limited to a reporter stating the name of the court, the judge dealing with the case, a summary of the charge, the names, addresses, ages and occupations of the accused person and the witnesses, and the lawyers involved.
The CJ made it clear that in all cases whether the trial has started or not, journalists should not publish the names of children, not say where they live, the schools they attend, because there is protection of children under the Children’s Act.
The CJ strongly pointed out that media practitioners should understand and follow the sub judice rule which means something is under judgement – the matter is being considered by the judgement has not been forthcoming.
“Because nobody should be tried and convicted by reporters or the social media, the sub judice rule applies. It is the job of the court and nobody else’s to decide whether anyone has committed an offence.
“If I see anything in a statement in a newspaper that leads somebody to believe that somebody is guilty before he/she has even be convicted before a court of law, obviously you have flouted the sub judice rule. You’ll be subject to contempt of court proceedings. A journalist’s job is to report responsibly,” said CJ Twomey, adding that people could have brought up cases against journalists here after many of the statements reported in some local newspapers.
“Your only protection is that the report was fair, accurate and not malicious,” she added
She also noted that because the legal language in Seychelles is English, some reporters and social media commentators do not understand the substance of the orders made, or the substance of arguments that go on in court, therefore misreport what takes places.
The CJ explained that even some lawyers do not follow some of the legal arguments sometime because it is a very sophisticated language to use with a lot of legal jargons.
In terms of the gagging order, she said there was an application made by the two defence lawyers for the accused person and that was supported by the Attorney General.
“When this takes place in court, the court is bound to act on the motion of the two lawyers,” said the CJ, who added that the lawyers brought copies of the articles to show they were inaccurate.
The CJ explained that the lawyers made the request because the jury in the Damienne Morel murder case has not been empanelled and a report in the TODAY in Seychelles newspaper has already painted the accused in a bad light before the case had been heard.
She noted that they are having a big problem getting a jury as they can’t take people who have already served, people who are engaged in operations that need their presence, for example doctors, nurses. “It’s a huge task in a very small country, especially in a country where we are all related or know each other and nobody wants to come (forward) because they know the person or a family of the person. This is why we try to shut out what took place or what allegedly took place even before the case is heard,” explained Mrs Twomey.
But the CJ informed those present that the gagging will be lifted after the jury has been empanelled as there is no way the jurors will be influenced as the judge will guide them.
The court will work in partnership with the press to disseminate what goes on in the courtroom as long as it is accurate, fair and not malicious, said CJ Twomey who noted that it is important the identities of sexual victims don’t go out because they are shunned by society, thus affecting their daily lives.
“It’s very upsetting when matters like that are reported on,” she said.
Meanwhile, the Seychelles Media Commission (SMC) sent out a communiqué yesterday in which it states that press coverage in recent weeks, and in particular since the formal proclamation of the forthcoming presidential elections, has given rise to an increasing number of unethical practices by editors and journalists.
It says the issues range from lack of fairness, accuracy, character assassination and personal attacks.
“The SMC deplores such practices as it undermines the role of the media in democratic elections. While the press is free to align itself to a political party, editors should be mindful that the rules governing media ethics prevail and thus should distinguish between news, opinion and conjecture. The commission would like to remind editors and journalists of the need for accuracy, balance and fairness in their media reports and to ensure that good taste and decency is observed,” writes the SMC statement.
It adds that public debate on national issues is healthy in a democracy and should be encouraged, but the discourse should be at par with best practices, in particular respecting institutions and the privacy of individuals.
The commission has urged the media to allow itself to be guided by the code of conduct for the media and to assume their role as guardians of democracy in a responsible manner.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247278

Times of Seychelles’ editor questioned by police
http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=247277

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Seychelles Supreme Court Quashes Praslin Land Use Plan

Post  Sirop14 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:16 pm

[size=16]Seychelles Supreme Court Quashes Praslin Land Use Plan
[/size]

Chief Justice Mathilda TwomeyThe dubious Baie St. Anne Land Use Plan passed they the National Assembly Three (3) years ago, has been Quashed in full by the Chief Justice of Seychelles Supreme Court Honorable Justice Mathilda Twomey in a landmark case Talma Vs. Minister of Land Use Planning ( Christian Lionnet).

The case held all Praslin landowners waiting with baited breath for Two years since the Baie St. Anne Land Use Plan reduced vast properties to nothing but " Reserves" on private lands without Fair and Just Compensation by the Government of Seychelles numerous opponents to the government like the Gill Family, Verlaque Family, Talma Family , Lesperance family suffered.

In material part, the Supreme Court in so far as all land use plans are concerned including Mahe , Praslin, La Digue, ruled across the Board-

1. All decisions relating to property rights under Article 26 of the Constitution of Seychelles at the administrative level must be: 1. Legal, 2. Reasonable, 3. Fair, 4. Rational, 5. Proportionate in decision, implementation, execution.

This means the MLUH cannot legally restrict use of property held by private persons unless these conditions have been met in full. Clearly this has not been the case with the Praslin Land Use Plan, going over the details is not imperative at this time.

Suffice to say, this Judgment now opens the door to a tumultuous amount of potential suits if the Minister of Lands does not respect the judgment of the Supreme Court of Seychelles. Property owners are now free to claim damages over the restrictions endured for Three (3) years.
2. The Supreme Court highlighted that Subsidiary legislation that restrict constitutionally protected Property Rights, must be drafted with strict controls to not overstep on the property rights protected by the Constitution of Seychelles.
3. While Notice in the gazette of the Praslin land Use Plan was published, the court found that no plan was ever made available to the Public for inspection.

The Judge said( she) : "has the distinct impression that the creation of the Plan was not in Good Faith and in the National Interest but rather by stealth and other motives."

"I am left with no doubt after reviewing the administrative files with the knowledge that not all the files were submitted to the Court ( by MLUH) after being so ordered. The court cases linked to this review (reveal) the Minister has indeed been unreasonable in his decisions."

4. Judge held that density restrictions were so arbitrary and prejudicial she said: " without a shadow of a doubt, the decision on density is not only arbitrary,but also preposterous" .

To properly make her point, Justice Twomey cites Justice Diplock's ruling on a similar case saying:

" So outrageous in its defiance of logic, or accepted moral standards, that no sensible person who had applied his mind, to the question could have arrived at this conclusion." ( Emphasis Provided)

Hence Justice Twomey concludes: the Ministers perusal of density requirements, the Land Use Plan was neither legal, Reasonable, Fair,Rational, or Proportionate.

5. Chief Justice orders the Praslin Land Use Plan quashed and orders the MLUH to return back to the 1997 Land Use Policies in place, to approve development plans on Praslin, and all of Seychelles.

Source: Freeseychellesnow.blogspot.com 1-16-16

http://seychelles-enews.com/2016/January%2018,%202016/headline1_supreme_court_quashes_land_use_plan.html

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Two new judges appointed

Post  Sirop14 on Fri May 13, 2016 9:41 am

Two new judges appointed

13-May-2016
The President has approved the appointment of two new Judges to the Supreme Court following recommendations of the Constitutional Appointments Authority (CAA), a communiqué from the Office of the President announced yesterday.
They are Melchior Vidot and Seegobin Nunkoo.
Mr Vidot, aged 51 years, is a private attorney and notary. He holds a degree in Law from the University of Buckingham, and was called to the Bar in 1998.
He had previously served as the Master and Registrar of the Supreme Court from 2005 to 2010, and also served as the Registrar of the Court of Appeal from 2006 to 2010. Earlier he had held positions of State Counsel in the Department of Legal Affairs, as well as that of Attorney in private Chambers.
Mr Vidot will be sworn in as Judge in June 2016.
Mr Nunkoo, a Mauritian attorney, holds a Law degree from the University of London. He was called to the Bar in Mauritius in 1995.
In addition to his experience as attorney-at-law, Mr Nunkoo has served 10 years as Commissioner in the Prime Minister's Office inquiring into the assets of convicted drug dealers.
Mr Nunkoo will be sworn in as Judge today.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249400

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Conflicts of interest

Post  Sirop14 on Fri May 27, 2016 2:24 pm

Conflicts of interest

27-May-2016
This letter is issued to all legal practitioners and notaries in Seychelles, pursuant to the supervisory jurisdiction conferred upon the Supreme Court by section 7 of the Legal Practitioners Act (Cap 111) and section 11 of the Notaries Act (Cap 149).
Practitioners are reminded that the acquisition of any interest in any matter in which they give their services as an attorney-at-law or notary is absolutely prohibited by law (this includes the acquisition of client’s immovable and movable property or an interest therein). Breach of this prohibition constitutes not only professional misconduct but also a serious criminal offence punishable by imprisonment.
An attorney who exploits the practitioner-client relationship for personal advantage, or who allows a direct conflict of interest to arise with his or her client, or who appears in Court in a matter in which he or she is a potential witness, will also be in breach of other fundamental rules of professional conduct (refer particularly rules 5(1) and 11(3) and (5) of the Legal Practitioners (Professional Conduct) Rules, 2013). But the rule against acquisition of interest is not limited to these situations. It is, for good reason, absolute. There are no exceptions.
Practitioners are further reminded of the obligations arising as a “reporting entity” under the Anti‑Money Laundering Act, 2006 (Cap 9A) to the extent that you provide legal or notarial services in relation to, inter alia, the buying and selling of land or business entities and the management of client assets.
These obligations are also backed by very serious criminal sanctions. They include obligations to carry out due diligence before and during the client relationship, to keep full records of that due diligence and of all transactions and related correspondence, and to report suspected money laundering and other criminal conduct without delay to the Financial Intelligence Unit.
Whether you practice as a reporting entity or not, all attorneys are further reminded of your obligation to deal with all moneys received from or on account of your clients in strict compliance with the provisions of the Control and Protection of Clients’ Accounts Act (Cap 44). This includes the maintenance of a specifically designated client account, regular reporting to the Registrar of Companies, the preservation of all relevant records, and submission to annual audit by the office of the Auditor General. Once again, these obligations are backed by serious criminal sanctions.
Further, the provisions of Anti-Corruption Act 2016 make it an offence for the use of your position to obtain property or a benefit of any kind, whether directly or indirectly, and whether for you or for another person and to conceal property or to acquire property knowing that such property is the proceeds of corruption. It is also an offence to give or promise a reward or gratification of any kind to a public officer (including officers of the court).
I take this opportunity to emphasise to all practitioners that breach of these fundamental regulatory obligations cannot and will not be tolerated within the Seychelles legal profession. Those attorneys and notaries who require time to place their affairs in order and bring themselves into compliance must begin to do so immediately. I emphasise specifically that any reported acquisition of interest, direct or indirect, by any practitioner in any client matter after the date of this letter will be referred for criminal investigation.
On behalf of the Supreme Court and the wider Judiciary I extend my appreciation to the legal profession as a whole for your continuing efforts in service of the rule of law and the people of Seychelles. Those efforts do not go unnoticed and they remain absolutely fundamental to the successful administration of justice in this country.

Mathilda Twomey
Chief Justice, Supreme Court, Seychelles

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249563

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

CJ Twomey back in office today after being forced to leave residence

Post  Sirop14 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:40 am

CJ Twomey back in office today after being forced to leave residence

07-June-2016
Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey will be back in her office at the Supreme Court today after being forced to spend the long weekend away from her residence at Bel Eau.
She said personal attacks following a judicial ruling concerning December's presidential election forced her to take this decision.
The CJ wrote about the incidents of “abuse” in an open letter addressed to Seychelles National Party (SNP) leader Wavel Ramkalawan who is also a member of Linyon Demokratik Seselwa — a coalition of opposition parties.
In her letter posted on Facebook, CJ Twomey asked Mr Ramkalawan to “speak to your supporters and stop unleashing hatred and violence on the judiciary”.
“Some of your party supporters took the liberty to come to my house to abuse me… Attacking me personally and getting your crowds to repeat and chant contemptible remarks about me is to say the least irresponsible. Someone spat on me yesterday. Tomorrow it might be worse,” wrote CJ Twomey in her letter.
Speaking to Seychelles NATION, CJ Twomey said she will resume duty today and has “no intention of being intimidated and I shall continue to work for the country I love so dearly”.
CJ Twomey said she felt “abused by the personal remarks” which she described as “below the belt”.
The chief justice added that she has no problem with anyone doing politics, but “politicians should be responsible, and not attack people personally and should not be involved in character assassination”.
“I wrote the letter to Wavel (Ramkalawan) because I wanted to remind him of the truth and tell him that he was wrong to let Jean-François (Ferrari) talk lies about me. I can cope with this, but my adult children are hurting,” said the CJ.
She explained that judges don't make the law, but apply the law and do so without fear, favour or ill will even when it involves one’s friends.
“We welcome criticism and academic discussion about our judgment. If you disagree with our findings on the facts and law as interpreted you are free to appeal it,” wrote the CJ in her letter.
These incidents have come in the wake of the Constitutional Court’s ruling against the petitions contesting the results of the second round of last December’s presidential election. The decision was read out by three judges – Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey and Justices Dan Akiiki-Kiiza and Crawford Eliott McKee — on May 31.
After coming out second in the first round, Mr Ramkalawan had contested the second round against Mr Michel, winning 49.85% of the votes against 50.15%.
This was after none of the six candidates contesting the first round had got more than 50% permitting the election of a president. The other four candidates were Patrick Pillay (Lalyans Seselwa), Alexia Amesbury (Seychelles Party for Social Justice and Democracy), David Pierre (Popular Democratic Movement), and Philip Boullé (independent candidate).
The petitions contesting the results were on two counts; that the Electoral Commission should have relied on votes cast and not valid votes to determine the 50% margin and that the voting process was marred with irregularities. The petitioner’s lawyer Bernard Georges had cited 14 of them, along with five other incidents.
Those included the following: Media reporting in favour of Mr Michel during the cooling off period prior to the election, the Agency for Social Protection and Parti Lepep activists distributing money without justification, announcement that IOT (Indian Ocean Tuna) workers would benefit from 13th month salary, offer by former President Albert Rene for Patrick Pillay to change side in return for a high governmental post, releasing a convict from prison so that his girlfriend can change allegiance, coaching old people to vote for Mr Michel, civil servants of influence asking subordinates to vote in his favour, taking ID cards from opposition supporters for them not to be able to vote, no reconciliation of register with names of voters who had cast their votes, number of votes cast not corresponding to number of ballot papers in some polling stations, etc.
After listening to the case from January 14 this year, the Constitutional Court finally ruled that only valid votes, of which there must be distinction from spoilt or rejected votes, can be counted. The judgment added that the intention of the voter must be clear in his or her vote and only the wish of the voter who clearly casts his vote is to be considered.
The court also ruled that in spite of irregularities, they would not have affected the election results and those responsible were not acting on behalf of the second respondent. It also noted that in spite of mistakes especially from the chief electoral officer, procedures in place did not permit a person to vote twice.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249712

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Linyon Sanzman deplores threat against CJ and attack on judiciary

Post  Sirop14 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:43 am

Linyon Sanzman deplores threat against CJ and attack on judiciary

08-June-2016
Linyon Sanzman has deplored the threats against Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey and has described the systematic attacks on the judiciary as an act of cowardice and a gross disrespect of the institution.
“As politicians and political leaders we need to learn to respect all institutions irrespective whether we agree with their judgement or not. The judiciary is an independent institution and as political leaders we need to support strong institutions as they are the very foundations of our democracy. If a judgment is not in our favour, there is no need to attack the very system which we went to in the first place to seek redress,” says a communiqué from the Linyon Sanzman.
“This is an act of cowardice and a violation of the principles of democracy. Political leaders need to show civility and lead by example,” adds the communiqué.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249724

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Judiciary condemns attacks on judges in election petitions

Post  Sirop14 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:01 am

Judiciary condemns attacks on judges in election petitions

09-June-2016

The Judiciary of Seychelles has strongly condemned the verbal and physical attacks on the Judges who sat on the Election Petition cases.
It has called on individuals and political leaders to refrain from such personal
attacks and to consider that the Judges concerned acted appropriately within their roles, according to the law and unanimously.
“They handed down a unanimous and full judgment giving reasons for their
decision and any errors in their findings will be resolved on appeal,” says a communiqué from the Judiciary.
The communiqué adds that the Judiciary stands behind the three Judges who were allocated the task of deciding the cases and calls on members of the public and the media to exercise restraint with regard to the matters which remain
sub judice, including the alleged illegal practices where parties have not yet had an opportunity to be heard.
The Judiciary says it is confident that the Constitutional Court bench was and continues to be fair and impartial.
“The Judiciary categorically refutes allegations that any of the judges involved received financial or other incentives in order to come to their decision. Such statements are completely unfounded,” says the communiqué.
“We call on the Seychellois people to allow our Judges to apply the law without fear of reprisal especially when they are called on to make difficult decisions,” concludes the communiqué.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249747

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Judiciary puts in place drug sentences review tribunal

Post  Sirop14 on Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:47 pm

Judiciary puts in place drug sentences review tribunal

14-June-2016
The Chief Justice is constituting a tribunal to review the sentences of persons sentenced under the recently repealed Misuse of Drugs Act, 1990, as amended (“the repealed Act”).
This is in terms of section 51(1) of the Misuse of Drugs Act, 2016 (“the Act”).
Persons who have been found guilty of an offence under the repealed Act and are serving a sentence of imprisonment under the repealed Act may apply to the tribunal in terms of section 51(2) of the Act for the review of the outstanding portion of that sentence.
Those who were already convicted on June 1, 2016, they must bring their application by August 31, 2016.Applications received after that date will not be considered.
As for persons who were charged under the repealed Act as of June 1, 2016 (but not yet convicted), and who are subsequently convicted of an offence under the repealed Act, they will also be entitled to apply to the tribunal. These applications must be made within three months of the date of sentencing.
According to the judiciary, the application must be on the correct form which may be obtained from the criminal registry at the Supreme Court and Magistrates Courts.
The application must be supported by an affidavit by the applicant with any supporting evidence that the applicant may think is relevant to the tribunal. Applicants do not need to obtain the help of an attorney-at-law in order to make the application.
The judiciary has added that in considering an application, the tribunal shall take into account:
(a) Whether the offence in question would be treated as an offence of an aggravated nature under the Act, in which case there shall be a presumption against review;
(b) The relative severity of the sentence for the offence in light of the law in force at the time the sentence was passed;
(c) The range of sentences that might be imposed if the offender were to be convicted of a similar offence under the Act;
(d) The conduct of the offender while in prison and the evidence of his or her rehabilitation; and
(e) The prospect of social reintegration and the risk of reoffending if the offender is released.
[Section 51(Cool of the Act]
All applications should be sent to the criminal registry of the Supreme Court, Ile Du Port.
Applicants will be granted an opportunity to be heard by the tribunal at a hearing which will be arranged by the Court.
Members of the public are informed that the tribunal will only consider the sentence and will have the power to confirm or vary the sentence. The tribunal is not empowered to vary the conviction.

http://www.nation.sc/article.html?id=249812

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Seychelles’ Supreme Court Judge suspended, judicial conduct referred to tribunal of inquiry

Post  Sirop14 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:15 pm

Seychelles’ Supreme Court Judge suspended, judicial conduct referred to tribunal of inquiry

(Seychelles News Agency) - The Seychelles judiciary on Monday announced the suspension of Supreme Court Judge Durai Karunakaran, saying that his “professional conduct” is being referred to a tribunal of inquiry.

“Judge Karunakaran has been suspended by President [James] Michel, effective immediately, from performing the functions of a judge,” reads the statement by the Executive Legal Assistant to the Chief Justice, Joelle Barnes.

“His suspension, according to the Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey, is as a result of a decision made by the Constitutional Appointments Authority to refer Judge Karunakaran to a tribunal of inquiry to investigate into his professional conduct,” the statement adds.

In a statement released Monday afternoon, State House said President Michel, under article 134 (4) of the Constitution was suspending judge Karunarakan from performing his functions until the conclusion of the inquiry.

http://m.seychellesnewsagency.com/articles/6065/Seychelles+Supreme+Court+Judge+suspended,+judicial+conduct+referred+to+tribunal+of+inquiry

Comment -Facebook Parti Lepep Orizinal - Frederick Egonde Ntende
The former Chief Justice from Uganda is now to head the Tribunal to decide the faith of the MAN who replaced him for a while by Acting CJ. Can Parti Lepep Orizinal explain why was Ntende replaced as CJ and what has changed to make him now fit to head this Tribunal? What is ironic is the Vice President is Ugandan by birth and recently the head of the Anti Corruption Commission is also Ugandan. A true influx to the Banana Republic of Seychelles! What goes round comes around!

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Religious service marks re-opening of Supreme Court

Post  Sirop14 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:29 pm

Religious service marks re-opening of Supreme Court

11-January-2017
The religious service at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception to mark the formal re-opening of the Supreme CourtThe need for judicial practitioners and the Seychellois people to unite even if we have diverse opinions came out clearly during the ceremony to mark the formal re-opening of the Supreme Court of Seychelles for the year 2017.
This year’s opening was held under the theme ‘Unity in Diversity’ and a religious service to that effect was held at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Victoria spearheaded by the Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese in Seychelles Denis Wiehe, with the participation of Archdeacon Danny Elizabeth of the Anglican diocese and Father David Alcindor, deacon of the Diocese of Victoria.
After going through a procession in Victoria, members of the judiciary proceeded to the Palais de Justice at Ile du Port where Chief Justice Mathilda Twomey delivered her speech.
Present were President of the Court of Appeal Francis MacGregor, ministers, the attorney general, judges and Master of the Supreme Court, magistrates, registrar, secretaries of state, commissioner of police, members of the diplomatic corps, bishops, attorneys at law, members of staff of the judiciary, among other guests.
Stressing on the need for unity, CJ Twomey said this year’s theme for the Judiciary, ‘Unity in Diversity’, acknowledges these principles adopted by “we the people” in our Constitution and which has been discussed several times in the past months, and featured several times in the discourse of the new President, Danny Faure and in the discussions about our National Assembly.

http://nation.sc/article.html?id=252514

Sirop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top